Automated installation a lot of useful extra software on Ubuntu after the initial desktop install.
This program installs a collection of some of the best Ubuntu software and can be considered to be one of the top things to do after installing Ubuntu.
Selecting and Installing all the extra software on a new Ubuntu computer can be time consuming. I wanted to automate the process on new machines as well as simplify the installation for new users. All comments and improvements are very welcome as this is purely a personal project at this point and must be considered a work in progress.
The Script will install the latest versions of all software listed below as well as add the required PPA’s to keep the software up to date.
Extra Software Installed:
- Ubuntu Restricted Extras video codecs and Flash Plugin
- Medibuntu for DVD playback
- Gnome Tweak Tool / MyUnity / Unity Tweak Tool (Depending on Ubuntu version)
- Faenza Icon Theme
- My Weather Indicator
- Calendar Indicator
- Google Chrome
- PDF Mod
- SSH Server
For more information on these programs visit the software selection page.
- Download the Ubuntu After Install application (download links at bottom of page)
- Double click on the downloaded .deb file to Install the application using the Ubuntu Software Center or manually with dpkg -i from the command line.
- Search Ubuntu Dash for Ubuntu After install and start the application.
- Follow the on-screen instructions (see screenshots below)
- Ubuntu 12.04 or later Desktop installed.
Using Ubuntu After Install.
- Start the application from the dash.
- Select the software you would like to install and click ok.
- Follow the on screen instructions if required.